Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Well, Can You Fight Nature?

Three weeks ago I and friends of mine of OPK committee went to the zoo. We had fun together looking at ‘wild’ animals walking around and licking cars mirror. However, not to Rayhan whose car licked by an animal looked like a camel, he just screamed and shouted at this animal. At that time, I was really looking forward to seeing tiger and lion since this was the second time I went to the zoo after 15 years, perhaps, I don’t know the number for sure. Once I arrived at the palace of the king of the jungle I was really amazed at these living creatures’ fierce look. But question in my head enlightens me to ask “can they eat vegetables, instead of meat which means have to kill other animals?” The same kind of question applied when I gaze at other animals, like deer, camels, bears, etc. I asked again, “can they just eat what they are used to eating. For instance, deer eat mice or fish, or bears eat nuts, etc, etc…”
Those questions inspire my thought that you can’t fight the nature as Spinoza, a jewish philosopher, said. Why don’t you just think about for a second if fierceness of tiger and lion just enable them to eat grass like a cow? It would be funny and silly, it doesn’t fit at all. It’s the same when you think that sun rises from the east and humans try to convert it to the west. There are lots of nature-more powerful things than human so that no matter how smart humans are, we are not capable of changing nature, not a nuclear part of it, as the objective of science suggests that “…….so that we can control nature…”. Well, can you fight nature? It’s not worth even a shot, is it?




No comments: