Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Peeping Through The Veil of Poverty

A few days ago, on December 20th specifically, me and a friend of mine, Azionk, sometimes he would refer himself as Adi, went to one of most famous malls in northern Jakarta. We got a lot of courage and willingness to go through a pouring rain just to see our friend who has just got a job at Oakley.

At a parking lot, my friend asked me if I perceive Indonesia as a rich country or not, looking at cars and expensive motorcycles taking a ‘rest’ at mall’s parking lot. Well, if a foreigner who arrives in Indonesia and lives near this mall just for a week, I think he would consider Indonesia as one of developed countries and he will not see some traces of economic crisis then.

However, I said gently to Azionk that I would not perceive Indonesia to have escaped perceptions of developing country since those are just a part of Indonesian, Jakartanese for more specific term. That was a simple answer yet obvious one, I think.

No comments: